MARCH MADNESS SALE!

ENDS MARCH 28TH

Returning to learning: Online study advice for mature age students

These days, advancing or changing your career is as easy a click of a button. Online education opens up the world to students of all ages in virtually any location. But if it’s been a while since you’ve last been in a classroom, it’s not unreasonable to feel like a first-year student: Intimidated!

It’s true, education has changed but it doesn’t have to be scary. In many ways, the model of the physical classroom is outdated and online classrooms are the future. That’s why we talked to two mature age students, Kerri and Rhonda who have taken the leap and are studying online for the first time.

Getting back into study

Online education lets you study from anywhere, at any time. Online education lets you study from anywhere, at any time.

Before enrolling in online courses, both Kerri and Rhonda knew they wanted to further their education to advance their careers. But both admitted they found themselves feeling a little nervous at the prospect of a digital classroom.

It’s not hard to understand why – for many, it’s been a while since challenging themselves in a study environment, and education has changed a great deal even in the past decade. Working professionals approach education with concern over things like cost, time and ability to study effectively. Can I afford the education? Will there be enough time to retain the information and keep up my lifestyle as is? Fortunately, these concerns are what make online learning so unique.

The online classroom provides students with a cost-effective, time-flexible solution that a traditional classroom can’t. Kerri explained that she was even able to remain the primary caregiver for her mother throughout her studies. In both cases, the passion for a career in fitness was matched with a learning program that didn’t disrupt their lifestyle.

“Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it”

Advice for tackling this new adventure 

If you’re on the fence, the best way to get into online courses is to just ‘do it’, says Rhonda.

“I heard a saying the other day which was: ‘Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway …’  that really resonated with me. I had been thinking about doing this course for ages, so my advice would be – jump in – why wait? I think of it this way now: There is no failure in learning – only feedback, the only failure is not to try!”

Rhonda shared that for her planning ahead has been key, “What I found really helpful was to set a goal for myself in terms of the number of hours I needed to put aside and write a ‘sample week’ timetable so that I had a starting point. The times and days I study from week to week changes, but I mark off the time against my target hours each time I study. It sort of gives me a guide and keeps me on track.”

And with so many resources available to you, Onfit instructors make it hard for you to fail. Kerri explained that whenever she had a question, someone was always there with a quick, and thorough answer. She was even able to get help on weekends!

If you want to know more about what it’s like to learn in an online class, or are interested in enrolling in one of our courses, reach out to our team here at Onfit Training College today.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE